Thursday, April 19, 2007

CHAPTER XX

Anna came in for work after spending the night at her own house. She believed she would find Haldora still visibly disturbed over what had happened the day before. When she walked in the shop she found Haldora listening to her pop music and looking as she always did, unaffected. Anna pondered for a while before touching the subject. She decided not to bring it up.
- Don’t think I don’t know it was you who told him. -, Haldora worn as Anna passed her by.
- What?
- I can feel the presence of people around me and I felt what you did that day and that night. -, Haldora explained.
Anna looked embarrassed.
- I forgot about that ability. If I remember correctly I never mastered it.
- I told you to let go. I expected you to listen this time.
- Hal, I was only trying to help you. You know, help out a friend.
- Be my friend and let it go. I’m fine like this. -, Haldora ordered.
- I’m sorry but I don’t think you are. Every letter, I remember, mentor sent me always carried the same message. She refuses to forget and learn. She always learns but only for means. Do you know what that means? -, Anna asked. - Haldora began to walk away. – Hella knew it. She used it against you. She knew you would do anything to get to him. She played you and you let her. Now the Goddess, Morrigan, she sent you down and he’s right there in front of you. You weren’t even looking for him. Please how can you not see the sign?
Haldora became angry and let go of a wild scream. The fire, that heated the kettle, rouse to a blaze for a moment, scaring Anna. Haldora was panting.
- I’m sorry. Just let it be. -, Haldora appeared to cry. Anna lowered her head in acceptance.
The employees of the shop began to come in. The discussion had ended. They both went their separate ways, carrying on with their work. None of the women spoke to each other for the course of the morning.
- Anna. -, Haldora called while Anna took her lunch, - I need to leave for a few hours. I need to go to the high street and get some supplies. The Full Moon is coming and Hallo’s Eve. Is it alright if I leave you in charge?
Anna was surprised by the suggestion. She stuttered. Haldora smiled showing all had been forgiven. Anna smiled back nodding her head.
- Ok, then. Be back in a few hours. Call me if you need me.
Haldora left, leaving Anna with a mixture of relief and fright.
Haldora took a bus to the centre of town and went to her normal supply shop. There she met with other practitioners of the old arts. They spoke of the up and coming festivities, while enjoying a cup of tea. She bought rock salt and candles, rocks and sticks of incense. As she was leaving the shop she saw the prefect gift for Anna, the statue of the Egyptian God of Writing Toth. She took it as well. She was planning to bless it in the next Full Moon then presenting it to her, to place on her desk as she wrote.
Haldora took the bus back to the book shop. She sat and took a Japanese comic book from her bag. She was completely hypnotized on her book she did not notice a person, who sat in front of her. She stopped her reading for a moment to consider what she had read, when she felt the pressure on her scar. She took a deep breath and as she looked front she saw him, a touch away.
- Good book?-, he asked.
Haldora wanted to look away but by this time it was impossible.
- It makes you wonder. -, she vaguely answered.
- I’m sorry to disturb you. I was in the book shop yesterday and I wanted to ask you a question. -, Michael explained.
- Of course. Go ahead.
- How did you know what book I wanted?
Haldora giggled.
- It comes with experience. Old and bout the Middle Ages? There’s only one, a good one. -, she explained.
Haldora noticed she was at her stop. She pressed the button to ask the driver to stop and got up. Michael followed her. She felt very uncomfortable being in such proximity of him. She stepped down from the bus and he followed her.
- I’m really sorry if I seem like I’m stoking you. -, Haldora could not help but smile, - I only spoke about this book with one person. I just wanted to know if… Are you ‘Bookworm1000’? -, he asked with perfect conscious of the kind of silly question he had just asked.
Haldora stopped at the door upon hearing his question. She turned back with an embarrassing look upon her face. He took it as an affirmative answer, smiling at her.
- Can I offer you some tea? -, she politely asked.
- You remembered I don’t like coffee. -, he acknowledged.
- You’re in England it’s customary to offer tea first. -, she explained, leaving him disappointed, - Though I remember coffee makes you nauseous.
Michael laughed as they walked in the shop. Anna was surprised to see him back and even more so to see him with Haldora. They went straight to the cafeteria. Haldora made tea and he sat at a table waiting for her. Anna came close to try and hear what they would talk about, but all she received was the bag of supplies from Haldora’s hands. Haldora sat with Michael giving him his tea.
- Yes. I am. -, she announced.
- I know the internet is supposed to be an anonymous place, but… you’re a legend in the chat room. The things you know are beyond all of us. Plus we all tough you were a guy. -, she smiled at his remarks.
- I’m sorry if I was rude yesterday. I was intimidated to have someone from the chat room here. -, she explained.
- How did you know?
- You have a picture on your profile.
Michael grinned at the reminder.
- You have the picture of a woman holding the Moon. Who’s that?
- The Triple Goddess. She’s a pagan Goddess. She means the world to us witches. -, Haldora explained very openly.
- Witches? -, he asked almost choking on his tea,
- Yes! I’m a witch. A practitioner of the old craft.
- You do spells and see spirits? -, Michael asked, extremely interested.
Haldora started looking very intensely to Michael’s arm. He became very uncomfortable. He looked back to see if there was some one behind him, but there was no one.
- Do you see one right now? -, he asked.
Haldora very slowly reached for him and took a small feather from his leather jacket, then smiled. He grinned realizing he had just been joked.
- Mediums see spirits, witches just do spells. -, she explained.
- Maybe I should introduce myself. I am…
- ‘M.A. Warrior’ -, she completed.
- Yes. I was actually thinking of telling you my name…
- Michael Alexander. -, she again completed, he looked intrigued, - It was on your credit card. M. A. = Michael Alexander. -, she explained.
- Ya. It also means…
- I am a warrior. A play on words. -, she rushed.
Haldora took a very long sip of her tea, while she realized she was embarrassing herself. Michael on the other hand thought her funny.
- So you work here?-, he tried to make conversation.
- Actually I own it. -, she explained.
- You’re Hal? -, she nodded, - Again, I thought you were a guy.
The afternoon went by with idle conversation between them. It was just as if they were online, loose and entertaining. They spoke of the news releases and of the new exhibition Haldora would be hosting. About how Haldora had opened the book shop and what a great idea it had been. She mentioned she lived above and told the story of the Kilpatrick family. They discussed the book she had been reading on the bus. He had impressive knowledge of the stories surrounding the characters. Haldora found it confusing and stupid, but from his lips no word was wasted or wrong.
At closing time he was the last to leave, save for Anna, who, stayed with a defiant and confident look upon her eyes. Haldora understood…