Sunday, March 25, 2007

CHAPTER XIX

Anna slept in and she awoke she could not sense the smell of tobacco in the air. She did sense the smell of fresh earth. She got up and found clothes laid down for her. She took a long bath in the enormous tub. She caught her friend looking at her from the door, after a while. Haldora offered her coffee. Anna sat and drank her coffee, while Haldora sat down on the edge of the tub.
- I couldn’t help myself. It’s such a large tub, you can swim in it.
- That’s why I bought it. It’s very relaxing. You’re welcome to stay in till you turn to a prune.
Haldora got up and lit one of the candles. She concentrated on the fire and pretty soon all candles were lit. Anna tilted her head impressed. Haldora smiled and came back to the tub.
- Hal! I’m thinking I’m going to go back to my apartment tonight. -, Anna announced.
- You don’t like it here?
- It’s not that. But I do have an apartment and although I love being here with you, I need to go back. -, Anna explained.
- I’m sorry if I sounded like I want to keep you here. It’s just I haven’t had a lot of company in the last few… centuries. It feels good to have you around.
- I know. And I can’t thank you enough for helping me out, but I need my things. I have my unfinished work at my apartment… You know how it is.
Haldora expressed curiosity.
- Unfinished work? -, Haldora asked walking towards her friend.
- Ya. I’m a writer. Well, I write stuff. I applied for a Foundation scholarship and I didn’t get it. -, Anna explained.
- Can I read some of your work?
- When I get around to finishing something, sure.
Both women laughed.
- You have changed. You used to be very meticulous and never leave anything undone. -, Haldora noticed.
- Yes and you used to not be so patient. -, Anna replied, - Time as changed us.
- If there is one thing I’ve learned in a thousand years of existence. The more things change the more they stay the same.
Anna took one last sip of her coffee.
- Go and get your work. When you saw talent in me you took me to the master and it’s time I repay the favor. Finish one project and I will take you to see a master editor. -, Haldora announced to Anna’s surprise.
- I don’t want you to do that. You’ve already given me a job and I can’t push this.
- My sister did what she could for me and I will do what I can for her. You saved my life when you took me to Stonehenge. I think you can push it as far as it goes.
Anna hugged her friend tightly emotionally, getting her all wet.
- Ok girl, I think we need to start working otherwise I’m going to start crying. -, Anna then said.
Haldora let go of her friend’s embrace. They went their separate ways. Anna got up and left her bath. Haldora changed her clothes. Anna joined her friend downstairs. Haldora turned on the radio but instead of the ambience music that had been playing the day before, the speakers started sounding pop music. Haldora danced to the music as she opened some new boxes that had arrived. Anna was now completely shocked at to the music she was listening to.
- Oh come on, don’t tell me you hate this music too. It’s the only time I get to listen to it.
- I can’t believe it. One thousand years of existence and you enjoy pop? -, Anna asked.
- I’ve had one thousand years to think, can I listen to a few hours of music with no contents to make me think? -, Haldora asked.
- You may have now just defined what pop music is all about. -, Anna stated.
- Get to work. -, Haldora ordered.
The day continued uneventful, with people coming in and out. Some just for coffee and others to inquired over books, others even just to read a new chapter. It was obvious that Haldora was now happier then ever, she would smile frequently as she would watch Anna at work. Again she was among those who accepted her. Anna was content to have her old friend back. The friend she knew would never let her go.
In mid afternoon, as Haldora was analyzing the best way to expose the new exhibit, Michael entered the book shop. Haldora felt dizzy for a moment, her scar pressed on her chest. She looked to the side, still trying to catch her breath and saw him. He looked around the shelves for the precious book he had discussed the night before. Haldora looked around her and all were unaware of her discomfort. She decided to move away but as she did, he called her attention.
- Yes! -, she answered staring at the floor.
- I’m sorry, I’m looking for a very old book, on the Middle Ages, I was told… -, before she could finish his sentence, Haldora shoved the book he wanted in his hands. He was amazed, she had gotten it right. - Thanks.
Haldora dared to look up to his face and master a smile. He smiled back. For a second they both stared at each other as if they were trying to know each other, but nothing came from it. Haldora rushed to settle his bill and send him on his way. He did not rush out, instead he lingered for a while looking through the many shelves. Haldora could not stop watching him. The pressure on her chest grew as did her fear for lack of self control. Anna looked from a far at the partial success of her plan.
Upon leaving the shop, Haldora would swear she could still smell his presence in the air. She was unable to utter another word that day.