Sunday, March 25, 2007

CHAPTER XVII

The book shop was empty when the lady came in. She looked through the shelves at the many tittles and at long last picked one up for further reading, unaware she was being watched. She walked to the far end of the shop and sat on one of the sofas, to comfortably enjoy her reading.
- Anna? -, a voice sounded from in front of her.
The lady lifted her head upon recognition of her name, but was unable to recognize the person standing in front of her.
- Excuse me, do I know you?
- You told me you would never forget.
- I’m sorry, did we meet as kids?
- It was a very long time, but we were not children. -, Anna looked confused. – I am the reason you have that scar on your hand.
Anna turned her palm up to reveal a scar. The woman revealed a similar one.
- I’ve had this scar ever since I fell off my bike, when I was a kid.
Anna’s hand was joined with the woman’s hand. Soon Anna’s eyes began to move from side to side as if she focused on a fast moving train. What she saw was longer the book shop but her lives live before. She could see her friend from before and all of her journey after her death. She could see the visits to her dreams her friend had made. It was over. Anna was panting but smiling.
- Blood sisters for ever. -, she said leaping from her seat to hug Haldora. – I can’t belive you are really here.
- You seem to forget I cannot die. -, Haldora whispered.
- I can remember. My head feels like it’s going to explode, but I remember.
- Come!
Haldora led Anna to a door, on a side walk of the book shop. They took the stairs towards the loft. Anna walked in and was surprised to see Haldora’s home. To one side there stood large French windows that gave out to a beautiful green garden that sweetened the air. To the other side an open plan home. There was a great fireplace and next to it an incredible small kitchen. In the middle of the room a four post bed, covered in crimson heavy fabric. On one of the walls was a book case with some fairly used books. The rest of the walls was covered in what seemed like frescos.
- This is where you live?
- Yes.
- I love what you’ve done with the place, it’s so … gloomy!
Haldora laughed and led her towards the old sofa in front of the fire. Anna sat down as Haldora put the kettle on the fire for tea.
- This is just like the first time we met. You have to tell me everything that happened to you. How long have you been here?
- I have been here in this loft for a while. But I’ve only come out publicly a couple of years ago, ever since I’ve opened the Book Store. -, Haldora explained as she sat.
- How did you open this place?
- Well… What do you know about the Kilpatrick family?
- They were patrons of the arts for generations. From what I know the last remaining Kilpatricks died in the II World War while taking their book collection to an underground hideout. After the war their daughter resurfaced the collection and founded the Kilpatrick Foundation. They help fight illiteracy and keep being patrons of the arts. -, Haldora was amazed at her knowledge. – I, myself, have applied for one of their scholarships.
- I see. The Kilpatrick’s never had a daughter. - , Haldora revealed.
Anna looked surprised but at the same time she understood.
- You kept their collection. You kept the past.
- Yes. That is something I can take, right?
- Won’t this Foundation and the book store reveal who you are? -, Anna asked concerned.
- I’ve learn how to doge that bullet. It is easier now to fool people. -, Haldora explained grinning.
- But what happened to you ever since I left you? Tell me all. Where did you and where did you live?
- Why don’t I show you instead?
Haldora stood up and raised her hands, as her mentor had done before, she provoked a thick mist to raise from the kettle. From this mist Anna saw Haldora’s lives since her own departure. Anna saw her trip through the England and her stay at the nunnery; her return to the Underworld after nearly burning; her exile on the island after working for the Pope; her stay in timeless limbo and her conversation with Morrigan. Anna then saw Haldora living within the rubble of a destroyed city. Hiding artifacts as well as helping people reconstruct their houses. At last Anna saw her friend pretending to be the Kilpatrick’s daughter, opening the foundation and opening her bookshop. “Hal’s Books”. The mist cleared and Anna was amazed at all the experiences Haldora had been through.
- Why didn’t you ever come find me?
- I did! I came to you in your dreams. I saw you grow through the years. Our mentor? He ascended. He is sitting with the Goddess. -, Haldora explained.
- The Goddess! You spoke to her, she came to you. That’s why you pretended to be the Kilpatrick’s daughter. You still practice it.
- Yes. I could I not.
Anna smiled at her friend.
- You are the friend I always missed and always knew I had. -, Anna stated.
- As well, my dear. But tell me about you! -, Haldora asked as she poured tea into a cup for Anna.
- Well… I’m soon to be evicted and I am just looking for a job. I just finished art school. I came in to check the art books. Lord knows I can’t afford them but seeing you don’t mind having people reading, I thought… -, Anna explained.
- You thought well. You came to the right place. I’m desperately in need of an assistant.
- You do know. If I remember correctly, you don’t sleep; you don’t get tired how can you need an assistant? -, Anna inquired.
- I do! I need some one for when I have to leave. Someone I can trust will continue this shop as I wanted to it to be. -, Haldora explained, - I trust you. If the gods brought you to me, I can’t let you go.
Anna smiled after taking a sip of her tea. She nodded in acceptance. Haldora smiled back. They joined their sacred hands giggling.
- Why don’t I order you a pizza and we can stay up all night talking of the old days. I want to hear everything about you.
- Do you think it’s wise to stay up all night before my first day at a new job?
- It’s ok when you’re with the boss.
The two women spoke the entire night of experiences past. Haldora explained the changes she had gone through. Anna marveled at what her own lives had been. They compared experiences and rekindled their friendship. Anna understood through the course of the evening that Haldora never spoke of her warrior. Anna did not see any experience with him and she found it to be strange, as a matter of respect she did not directly inquired Haldora on the subject, though her doubts were pounding in her head.
Laughter… Emotions… Remembrances… Smiles…