Thursday, April 19, 2007

CHAPTER XXV

The sunlight had barely erupted from twilight and a loud and annoying sound was heard in the room, echoing on the bare walls. In the bed Haldora tried to look for the source of the noise to shut it off, before her lover awoke. She reached to the floor to find a small cell phone in Michael’s trouser pocket. She removed it and attempted to switch it off, as she did, Michael stirred in bed.
- I know that sound. -, he mumbled.
He reached for the phone, still with his eyes closed, took it out of Haldora’s hand and switched it off immediately. She laid it back on the floor and came back to greet her lover. His eyes were still shut, but his breath was different. He was awake, though in denial. She stroked his bare back, which made him smile. He slowly opened his eyes in the near darkness of the bed and smiled at her. She smiled back, although he could not see her.
- Is it still dark? -, he asked confused.
- Only in here! -, she answered as she reached for the drapery opening it a bit to allow the frail light in.
He held his head with his hand as she stared at his lover. She couldn’t understand why he did that, she just stood as she was waiting for some action.
- It should be illegal to look like that in the morning! -, at last he stated.
Haldora giggled. He reached for her face and led her to a gentle kiss.
- Good morning! -, she greeted.
- Good morning! -, he answered back, before kissing her again, - Tell me it’s Saturday! -, he asked as he kept kissing her.
- It isn’t! -, she answered amidst his kisses.
Michael threw himself back on the bed and sighed deeply. Haldora laid her chin on his chest.
- That means I’m going to have to leave here. -, he stated.
Haldora gave no answer, though she looked sad. For a moment both remained motionless thinking of the future event of leaving.
- I should go home and get a change of clothes, but I really don’t want to leave this bed.
- You don’t have to! I’ll wash your clothes if you want so you can linger here. -, she offered.
- That would imply you leaving here and I want you here, close to me. -, he explained, as he pushed her up, - So we can do dirty! -, he whispered in her hear.
- That sounds nice, but aren’t you going to be dirty to work?
- You’re well worth dirty underwear.
The both laughed. She caressed his hair, finally understanding why a moment ago he had stopped to just look at her. She pecked him. Haldora looked to the side as he kissed her neck and noticed a small scar on his right shoulder. She touched it, which grabbed his attention.
- I was in a bike accident and scrap form the bike hit my shoulder. -, he explained, - Some of it is still in there. Thank God I’m a lefty, my arm was pretty shot after that.
Haldora let go of a small smirk, which confused Michael.
- What? You think me having an accident is funny?
She nodded and kissed his scar.
- It reminded me of something from a long time ago. -, she explained.
- Are you going to tell me about your scar? -, he cautiously asked.
Her expression changed. She rolled to the side of the bed and pulled the sheets up to cover herself completely. He held her from behind kissing her shoulder.
- I’m sorry. You don’t want to talk about it, I get it. But what I came to say, yesterday, was that I wasn’t grossed about it. It just looked… oddly familiar. Like a fading memory you have, like from your childhood or something. I have no problems with it. You’re just as beautiful with it. -, Haldora sighed as she swallowed her cry.
The moment was perfect. It was a dream. It was her wish, the thing she had awaited for a thousand years. Full acceptance. They remained hugging for a minute till, Haldora cleaned a tear that had escaped and turned to Michael.
- You should take a bath before you leave. -, she changed the subject.
- Will you join me? -, he asked smiling mischievously.
- No, I’ll make you breakfast.
- I don’t eat breakfast! There’s no escaping me now.
Haldora reached for her night gown and got dressed. She left the bed and opened the drapes allowing all of the sun light to invade the bed. Michael covered his head with a pillow, to protect his eyes. Haldora went to the bathroom and ran the bath. She lit one of the candles and as she concentrated all of the candles were lit. No other light shone on the bathroom. Michael entered being astonished by the ambience. Haldora pointed towards the tub, inviting him in. Michael took the invitation. He sat down allowing the warm water to soak his body. Haldora sat on the edge of the tub, with her feet in the water, right behind him. She took water in her hands and proceeded to wet his back. He allowed her to wash him.
- Don’t you have electricity? -, he asked, looking at all the candles.
- I like twilight. I like shadows. -, she explained
Haldora took a sponge and proceeded to soap his back and shoulders. Michael lay back, landing his head between her knees and exposing his chest. She soaped his chest as well as he wrapped his wet arms around her waist. She took his arms from their position and held them straight. She soaped them and sunk them in the water. Michael turned to her and held himself out of water to kiss her. He knelt down on the tub to embrace her. She fought him off so she wouldn’t get wet, but it was useless. Michael pulled her down and she fell into the tub, soaking her night gown. He pulled it off her. She soaped his nose with the sponge, sliding away from him to the other side of the tub. He took the sponge away from her and repaid the favor. He held her and soaped her back, then took her arms one by one and soaped them too. She pushed him away from her and he braced himself on he edge of the tub, she lied on his body, slowly descending and kissing his skin. Soon her face was bellow the water and stayed like that for an uncomfortably long time. Michael got scared and pulled her up violently. She looked surprised.
- Don’t ever do that again.
Haldora sat on the edge of the tub and pulled herself a towel. She wrapped herself on it and got her feet out of the water. Michael remained in for a moment more. Haldora got up as he closed his eyes, soaking in the warm water, and left the bathroom. She got dressed and picked up his clothes from the floor and laid them carefully on the freshly-made bed.
As Haldora was preparing to boil water for tea, she heard footsteps on the stairs, she ran to keep whoever it was to come in, but it was too late. Anna opened the door and walked in.
- Hey! I hope you don’t mind m coming up, but I really wanted to tell you something. -, Haldora tried to interrupt her but she was talking to fast, she hardly drew a breath, - I wanted to tell you that, though you had a bad night, he was partially responsible for it, because he took you to see a crappy film and he should know what kind of movie to show a girl on a first date and as for the kissing, what the hell was he thinking? That you are cheap or easy? I mean, a movie and he can take a person to an apartment and try to get into their pants?
- Anna, stop! -, as Haldora said this Michael opened the bathroom door wearing nothing but a towel around his waist.
Anna was caught by surprise, so was Michael. None of them said anything, remaining embarrassed.
- Hello, Anna, right? -, Michael finally greeted.
- Hi! Michael. -, she answered. – I think I should wait outside. Carry on!
Anna left the room. Haldora looked at Michael trying to come up with an explanation.
- Did I interrupt anything? -, he asked.
- No! She just wanted to get some things out of her chest. I should go down and talk to her.
- Sure! I’ll meet you downstairs in a second.
Haldora ran down the steps and found Anna sitting in the shop’s sofas with still an embarrassed look upon her face. Haldora sat down next to her.
- Why didn’t you tell me he was in the bathroom?
- You really didn’t give me a chance.
- He spent the night? -, Haldora nodded with a smile, - You didn’t talk all night long and then realized he was too tired or drunk to go home, did you? -, mischievously Haldora shook her head, - Oh my! You did it? -, Haldora nodded grinning.
Anna smiled in joy. The friends hugged. Anna laughed just thinking of her friend’s wish coming true. Haldora held her joy under control, afraid of any outbreak. Michael came down as they unlocked from their embrace. Anna noticed his presence and stepped away from the couple, leaving them in privacy.
- I should go! My bus will be here soon. -, he announced.
- Let me fix you a cup of tea before you go.
- I can’t eat anything in the morning I’ll grab something in the office.
Michael looked to Anna, to see if she was looking at them, she was pretending to stock the coffee stand, but she could see them in the corner of her eye. Michael gave Haldora a long kiss goodbye. Anna turned to see them, happy for her friend. Michael headed for the door.
- Michael, wait! -, Haldora requested. She took a book from one of the shelves and handed it to him, - For the trip! -, he was astonished to see that he was reading, his eyes asked how she knew, - I saw it on your nightstand.
He came back for one last kiss and left afterwards, with the book under his arm. Haldora watched him as he ran across the street to the bus stop. His bus parked soon after that.
Haldora came away from the window as Anna drank a cup of coffee. Haldora sat at one of the tables and laid her head on her arm. Anna sat down next to her.
- Is it as good as you thought it would be?
- It’s better, Anna!
- It is rather soon, though?
Haldora lifted her head and seriousness took hold of her face.
- I’m sorry, Hal, but it is. You go out on one lousy date and the next day you sleep together. Are you sure he feels the same way you do?
- He could never feel the same way I do, but if you’re asking does he … love me? I don’t know! But it’s obvious to me he feels strongly about us.
- Is that enough? -, Anna asked, - I mean, you’ve been waiting for him for so long. I just don’t want you to sell yourself short. Don’t give it all away.
- I know you’re only instilling doubt because you’re my friend, but let me live this, even if it doesn’t lead anywhere.
Anna agreed. Haldora got up and looked around the shop.
- Now if you excuse me I need to go finish decorating the exhibition space. It’s next week and I am way behind. So would you do me a favor and mind the shop for me?
- Sure, boss!
- But before you start, go up to the garden, there’s a small gift for you on the altar.
Haldora got up and headed for the exhibition space, as Anna went up the stairs to find the small statue of Toth, where Haldora had said it would be. She took it from the altar and admired it. She understood the significance of this gift and was grateful.
Haldora spent the day busy with her affairs, though she carried herself differently. She was happier, her distant and cold look, seemed warmer and closer. She could not stop smiling and laughing of very unimportant things. Anna watched her through the day and found her friend joyful. She had never seen her like that and was not opposed of her remaining like that for a long time or even forever.
At the end of the day, Anna came close to Haldora as she still worked. She had to touch her should to get her attention.
- Hey. I’m heading off. I want to ask you something.
- What is it?
- I was invited to a Halloween party and I was thinking it would be nice of you and Michael could come as well.
- You know I celebrate Samhain on Halloween. I don’t think I can go. -, Haldora excused herself.
- You can do both. Do the ritual and then come to the party. -, Anna suggested.
- I don’t know.
- Look, you’re the one who want to live this. I’m giving you a chance to live it some more.
- I’ll talk to Michael about it and let you know.
Anna agreed and left her friend to finish her work.
Michael arrived soon after Anna had left. He tapped on the glass and Haldora let him in. He gave her the book, she had given him in the morning, back and kissed her as a thank you note. Haldora lead him up to her room. Michael sunk himself on the sofa and Haldora sat down between his legs. He held her as he looked into the fire that crept next to them. Haldora slumbered as she was rocked by his breath, but the doubts instilled by Anna in the morning were planted in her head and soon bore fruit.
- Michael can we talk? -, she asked.
- Experience tells me when a girl says that to a guy, things aren’t right.
Haldora sat down on the other side of the sofa staring at him.
- It’s just that… everything we know about each other was read on a computer screen and both of us could have been lying. Yet here we are.
Michael sat up straight.
- I can’t explain this, but I am attracted to you. Everything you do is new to me. But it’s familiar. I feel like I’ve known you forever and yet I know nothing about you. You seem to be a figment of my dreams, something I’ve seen before. I felt that from the moment we began writing to each other. I knew I could trust you. And the truth is you could have been lying and you could be an axe murdered, but I find that hard to believe, not now that I’ve met you and I’ve look into your eyes. … I think I’ve fallen in love with you.
Haldora was unable to speak after this explanation. She stared at him, he stared back, waiting for an answer or reaction to his words.
- I feel the same way. -, she finally answered.
He smiled at her and she resumed her former position. He kissed her hair.
- Anna invited us to a Halloween party, do you want to go?
- I thought witches didn’t go to Halloween parties. I though they would stay home and cook up spells.
Haldora laughed.
- We do have a celebration. It’s kind like our New Year’s Eve. The 31st is a day without a month. The beginning. It’s the time when the portals of the spirit world are open and all spirits come to Earth. So we celebrate them. But we can also find time for a party. -, she explained.
- If you can find the time, I would like to go. But we have to go disguised as a pair.
- What do you mean?
- Like if I go as Dracula, you have to go as Vampira. You know paired up.
- What if you’re a Vicking warrior and I’m you lady? -, she asked as she turned to see his expression.
- Where I am going to find a Vicking warrior outfit?
- I have one downstairs.
- Isn’t that like an antique?
- It’s imitation! -, she lied, - You wear the armor and I’ll wear the dress.
Michael nodded smiling.
They remained lying on the sofa for hours just talking of what they would do at the party in regards to scaring the others, like playing with the sword. Haldora felt as she had not felt in a long, long time, she felt as she did when she still had a pulse. Before she had met her warrior. She was a human being again even if just as long as the conversation lasted.
At last Michael had to go and after a long goodbye with hugs and kisses that denounced their unwillingness to part, he was gone.
Longing… Waiting for tomorrow…