Thursday, April 19, 2007

CHAPTER XXI

Anna found Haldora, upstairs, tending to her garden in the dark. Anna searched the wall for a light switch, but before she found one a small flame appeared on an old gas lamp, revealing the garden with, perhaps hundreds of pots with all kinds of plants. Anna walked towards Haldora who picked leaves of specific plants.
- It’s a wonder you can control fire like that? -, Anna spoke awaiting a response for a long conversation. Haldora simply smiled from the side of her mouth and continued her work. Anna understood she needed to introduce the subject herself. – Are you still mad at me for telling Michael to come over? -, Haldora once more did not answer. Anna walked around the garden looking at the plants and recognizing a few. At the far end of the garden stood a table that resembled the table she herself had in her hut. Anna came near it and looked at the potions on display and the supplies neatly placed. It came to her attention a smaller table on the side of the grander table. This smaller one had the light of the moon shone on it; the light came down from the large skylight. The waning Moon. Anna recognized immediately what lay on this table. She took a long breath. – You did a ‘near me’ spell.
Haldora stopped what she was doing and turned to her friend, who now stood backwards to her. Her head hanging down. Her countenance was heavy.
- I did that spell a long time ago. Before he got his internship. That’s where he goes, every morning. He didn’t take the bus and I hadn’t met me on the net. Weeks later I saw him waiting for that bus and coming here. I never touched it again. I didn’t want to contaminate it with any more energy. -, Haldora explained.
- You weren’t angry at me. – Anna realized as she turned around.
- I should have destroyed that spell, but I didn’t and it picked up on your energy as I knew it would. But what is the truth, and that is the worst, I didn’t want to destroy it.
- You took people’s free will. That was our first rule. You don’t manipulate. -, Anna reminded.
- I know. -, Haldora took her carton and lit a cigarette on the gas lamp.
- When did you become a smoker?
- I picked it up when I was hiding in Morocco. Relaxation. And it’s addictive even for the dead. -, Haldora explained.
Anna came close to her and removed the cigarette from her lips.
- It’s a nasty habit. -, she stated as she used it to set the dried leaves of the spell on fire. Soon a small blaze consumed the table. Anna grabbed the water can and put out the fire. – It’s broken.
Haldora was motionless with her eyes stuck to the ground. Anna passed her by on her way out. As Anna closed the street door she the fire lights in the house extinguish and the place was grim and sad. Anna walked down the street towards her own apartment feeling disappointed. She carried with herself Haldora’s guilty and her tears, which began to pour a few yards away from the shop. Inside Haldora, apathetic, lay thrown on the rug in front of the cold fire place.
Days passed and Anna’s presence was not felt anywhere around the shop. Haldora continued her daily routine, but now more quiet then ever. She continued to prepare the shop for the exhibition, carrying books from a place to another to open up space. She was tireless, but only because she wanted to keep busy and not sit by her computer, nor by her window, though her mind would toy with these rituals for her. All faces were of him and her. All voices sounded like them. Haldora was sure she was again alone and by her own fault.
Slow day afternoon and Haldora sat awaiting costumers alone in the empty shop. She continued to attempt to understand the Japonese Comic arts. The door made a sound and Haldora lifted her head as her chest pressed on her. Michael was heading towards her stand with a sad smile upon his face. She was thrown by his presence.
- Hey! -, he greeted, - You’ve been missing in action. I thought it might be good to check up on you.
- I’ve been busy. I had to set up the space. -, she explained pointing to the empty space for the exhibition.
- Oh! So what’s going to be there again?
- A collection of rare editions of the Middle ages, along with … artifacts. – She summarized.
- That’s right you had told me. – There was an uncomfortable pause. – You look really tired.
- I am a bit. You look sad.
- I was worried. I’m still worried. We stopped talking on the net when I met you on the bus and for some reason I can’t shake the feeling that the two events are related. I mean we were anonymous to each other and then we weren’t and I thought that might have messed with your head.
- No. I was just busy. I’ve been busy.
- It has messed with my head, because now you’re real. You’re not just letters. And… the chit-chat we had the other day was great. It was better then reading. -, He explained.
Haldora smilled shyly.
- I’ve miss talking to you. -, she said in a half whisper.
A costumer entered the shop which diverted Haldora’s attention. She moved towards the person to help. Michael stood close to the stand. She took Haldora’s comic from the table and took a look. Haldora settled the costumer’s bill and walked her to the door with all courtesy. She came back to her stand. Michael still looked at her book. He gave her the book back with noticeable embarrassment.
- So… how do we do this? You’re busy working and I don’t want to keep you.
- The time I used to sit by the computer is now the time I spend down in the basement with the artifacts. I have to start bringing them up today.
- Can I help? -, This question pierced Haldora like an arrow. – If it’s boxes I can carry boxes. What am I saying? They need special treatment.
- No. -, Haldora erupted, - I mean, handle with care, but no special treatment. If you’d like to help that would be… nice.
- What time do you want me here?
- Closing time?
- I’ll bring dinner. -, Haldora nodded her head in a dream like stasis while Michael left the shop with a bright smile upon his lips.
Until closing time Haldora was still not sure she had had an actual conversation with her long lost warrior or had just dreamt it. But then she saw him carrying paper bags. If she had been dreaming she had not yet waken up. Haldora opened the door and let him in. He set the bags on the first available table and began taking food from it.
- I realized I didn’t ask you what you liked you to eat, but since you are a true English girl, you like chips and anything fired. -, He explained.
- I like chips.
They both sat down and began to eat. At first the moment was awkward, silence surrounded them.
- This was easier when we were just typing. I don’t think we can be more uncomfortable -, Haldora stated and she filled her mouth with chips.
- So you’re a witch? -, he asked.
Haldora chocked. She coughed as she laughed.
- Scratch that. It can. -, she stated still clearing her throat.
Michael contained his laughter. Haldora got up and went behind the bar, fetching a rather dusty bottle of wine.
- If we’re going to talk about that we might as well make it less uncomfortable. -, she explained as she uncorked it. She brought two beautiful red glasses and poured wine for both of them.
- You do realize you are ruining a XIX century wine on chips? -, Michael asked as he looked at the bottle in complete shock.
- I’m drinking to the company. -, she explained before she took a long sip. – So, witch. Yes I am.
- What does that entail?
- Well. You try to communicate with every living being and try to be patient and not proud and you commune with all of Nature and all things really. -, Michael did not seem very convinced, - Yes, witches can sometimes connect with the spirits of dead people, but it’s not a pre-requisite, and we do spells. Spells are like prayers, but instead of just saying repetitive words that some one else wrote, we make our request our own. We know the power of herbs and animals and geometric forms and star alignments and we know when to ask something. I’m not making any sense.
- Partially.
- It’s hard to explain. It’s like asking some one if they believe in God.
- Do you believe in God? -, He inquired.
- I’ve not met any entity with that name. Though the sky is vast and I’m sure it has room enough for all gods. If people believe in some entity they will be and flourish. Gods die when you forget them. -, she explained showing her experience on the subject.
- So you don’t believe you’re going to Heaven when you die?
Haldora grinned. She took a sip from her wine and ate a chip before she answered.
- Witches believe in reincarnation. I will come again and I will fix the mistakes I did in this life and if I don’t I’ll come back and live them again until there is a balance. Until I’ve learned from them.
Michael was stunned with her honesty about the subject. He could not stop listening to her explain how she felt inside when she took her prayers to he Moon, when she celebrated her festivals. He could almost sense her feelings of fullness and happiness. Though He had though she had been joking, with every single explanation he was convinced of the woman’s devotion. He sat hypnotized by her words.
The chips were over and so was the wine, Michael was feeling tired but has he had promised he helped Haldora carry the many old dusty books from the vault to the exhibition space. He was astonished at the collection Haldora kept. He spent most of the time going through the books instead of carrying them. He couldn’t read any of them, but Haldora knew every single one and even called them by their title, which confused him. She explained what kind of book it was and sometimes read passages from them, her favorite parts. They engaged on conversations over many topics depending on what book they picked up. They discussed the dogmas of the Inquisition and the be
The night was not young anymore and Michael was getting very sleepy from the wine and the tiredness. He struggled to keep awake. Haldora made him sit on the steps.
- You’re tired. I better call you a cab to take you home.
- No, I’m OK. I said I’d help you and we’re almost finished, right?
Haldora looked at the amount of work still to be done and sighed.
- You’re not almost finished. It’s late you should go home. -, she explained. Michael struggled to stay awake. – Michael! Breathe deeply. Concentrate on my voice and breathe.
Michael was soon with eyes closed and with a controlled breath. Haldora took his hands in hers and closed her eyes. She fused her mediation with his near sleep state and led him to a place in the mind where the brain believes it has rested all its needs, giving it a sense of renewal. Michael opened his eyes as Haldora did the same.
- What just happened?
- Witch’s trick. Now grab your keys and go home before it wears off. - She explained as she helped him up and up the stairs. - The employees will help me in the morning. Thanks, you were a great help and I enjoyed chit-chatting with you.
Michael headed out the door. He stood for a few seconds outside looking in at Haldora, smiling at her. She stood doing the same. Finally he went away.
Her heart raced….