Thursday, April 19, 2007

CHAPTER XXII

The day came with a lovely surprise. Before the shop was even open there was a light tap on the window. Haldora rushed down to find Anna peeking in. Haldora opened the door and Anna came in with a sorry look on her face. There was no need for words between them, their eyes did most of the talking, though it was obvious to Anna Haldora’s eyes had much more to say. Anna looked outside for a second and saw Michael’s car pull up to the parking lot. She looked at Haldora expecting to find her hypnotized as before, instead she found her smiling shyly as if hiding something. Anna took another look at Michael and as soon as she got close enough to see them, Haldora pulled them away from his view. Anna was amazed at her friend’s action.
- Severing the ties, are we?
- Anna. Yesterday he came into the shop all by himself and we spoke and… he then came back to help me set up the exhibit. -, Haldora explain, as she sat on the sofas at the back on the shop.
- He came here and engaged in conversation with you and you…?
- I was stunned. Since you broke the spell I haven’t even seen him get his bus. I haven’t spoken to him on line. I even stopped smoking for fear the smoke would take my wishes to where they shouldn’t, you like the Native Americans. -, Haldora related.
- And after all that he came in and spoke to you and offered to help set this thing up? -, Anna sat next to her.
- Yes.
- Could this still be the spell working?
- Once a spell is broken, it’s broken. And I made no attempts to bring its energy back. I haven’t even been thinking of him.
- How do you accomplish that?
- I work like crazy. I read. I make myself busy.
- You haven’t even been looking out the window? -, Anna was amazed at Haldora’s resolution.
- No. I lock myself in the bathroom until it’s time for his bus to go.
- Do you think that… maybe… it is fate? -, Anna asked, doubting her own question. – Like you manipulated his way but now he has to take the path for himself.
- I don’t know. Before we always seemed to run in to each other without any aid. There was a time when I sought him out in other realms, but when I came back and started my mission I forgot him for the longest of times and then I did the spell and… And he did show up. And now I’ve got what I wanted and I’m scared. -, Haldora confessed.
- He came here and spoke to you. What did you guys talk about?
- Well. He brought dinner and we spoke about me being a witch and…
- Wait a second. You spoke about you being a what? -, Anna interrupted.
- Witch. I’d told me before when we had coffee, because I thought it would freak him out and he would leave, but this time he brought it up. He seemed very interested. Then we just spoke about the books. I read parts and told him what they were. Things like that.
- Then what? -, Anna turned her head to her friend as her friend walked towards the wall.
- He was sleepy and I did that meditation trick where it seems you have been sleeping for a while and sent him on his way. -, Haldora explained.
- Wow! I don’t even know what to say anymore.
The two friends sat there for a while thinking of what was happening. There were no thoughts of forgiveness or anger has had been the last time they had been together.
The day evolved into the daily routine of work for both Anna and Haldora, no works were exchanged about what had been spoken in the morning. Instead both women kept themselves busy with shop affairs until it was time to close. From time to time Anna would find Haldora reading her Japonese comic books, and by the look on her face she was not doing it for the entertainment it provided, it was clear that it was merely a strategy to abstract herself from the world around her.
The last costumer of the day came just as soon as Anna was closing the doors. She did not notice him, but he ran from a cross the street and got in forcing the door a bit. Anna was about ready to give this person a piece of her mind, when she saw who it was. Michael was in front of her flushed from the race.
- Hi, I’m sorry to invade like this, but I was wondering if I could speak to Hal. -, he politely asked.
- Sure. I’ll go get her.
Anna walked towards the office as soon as she closed the front door and turned the closed sign. Inside the office Haldora insisted on reading her Japonese comics.
- Hal, there’s someone here to see you. -, Anna said when she got close to the door.
Haldora rouse taking the comic with her. She kept on reading as she came out of the office.
- Who is it? -, she asked from behind the comic.
- Hi, Hal. -, Michael greeted.
Haldora lowered the comic and her first glance was to Anna. She then looked at Michael and smiled.
- Hey. I hope you got home ok. -, she said.
- I did. -, he replied coming close to the two women. -, Thanks for whatever it was that you did.
- Like I told you yesterday, there was no need for you to come back. We got it from here. You did a lot, thank you. -, Haldora explained.
- That’s not why I came. -, he explained.
Haldora looked very embarrassed.
- I wanted to ask you something. It’s short notice, I know, but… I was wondering if you’d like to come with me to this movie festival. I have an extra ticket and no one to go with.
- Why don’t you take your girlfriend? -, Anna blurted.
Both Michael and Haldora looked at her in surprise.
- Michael, this is Anna, she’s… a friend. -, Haldora introduced them - And fellow on-line chatter.
- Well, Anna… my girlfriend isn’t into these kinds of movies. -, he patiently explained, while lowering his eyes. – If you don’t want to go it’s ok, it’s just I think you’d enjoy it and… I would really like to have the pleasure of your company.
- When is this going to happen? -, Haldora asked.
- Tomorrow! It’s a late show.
- Oh! I don’t know, I have to awake pretty early to open then shop… - Haldora explained.
- I’ll do it! -, Anna interrupted.
- What?
- I’ll do it! You go have fun. I’ll open the shop.
- I guess that’s official. Will you come pick me up?
- Yeah. I’ll be here at eight. I’ll see you tomorrow.
Haldora could do nothing else but smile at his offer as Anna walked him out of the shop and closed the door behind him. As soon as he was out of sight, Haldora ran up the stairs to her home, with Anna on her heels. Haldora was panting and pressing her scar. It looked like she was out of breath. All Anna could do was sit with her friend and wait till she was calmer.
- What the hell were you thinking? Why did you not stop me? You are angry at me for wanting him and when I’m trying to drive him away from my life you help him back in. -, Haldora suddenly exploded, making the fire explode with her.
- Calm down. -, Anna cried, -And turn down the flames. Let me explain. -, the flames dimmed. - Suddenly with him standing right there and being nice and all… I thought he hasn’t run away in fear or felt threatened and you told him some pretty heavy things, and hasn’t even tried to burn you at the stake for it. You shouldn’t have done the spell, but maybe this time it’s the one.
Haldora looked around the room still trying to control her feelings.
- I did that spell… because since I came back from the Goddess, I … couldn’t connect with him. I used to be able to touch his dreams and then I couldn’t, not anymore. The war passed and I felt the pressure on him scar. He was close, but I couldn’t… -, Haldora turned to Anna, - I was afraid chance wasn’t working anymore. -, Anna understood her friend’s reasons; she nodded as she heard the explanation.
- Maybe this is a gift, from the Goddess, for a good job. It’s been a thousand years you should get some bottie out of it, or if nothing else a friend.
The two grinned.
- I’m going out with him.
- Yeah!
- What am I going to say?
- You have bigger things to worry about?
- I do? -, Haldora asked frightened.
- Of course. What are you going to wear?
Both women laughed. Haldora laid on the floor as Anna ran to raid her friend’s closet for the right outfit.
Clothes flying… Emotions rising…